Should I consider Volunteering at the Butterfly House?
People often ask, how will it benefit me?
Probably, some better questions would be, “How will my volunteering help less fortunate people in the world? How will my help benefit the environment? Not forgetting the wonderful therapeutic benefit received by our many visitors to the peaceful garden setting of the Butterfly House I’m helping operate.”
But yes, “How will it benefit me?” is still a great second question to ask, so here’s the answer.
As a volunteer with Bribie Island Butterfly House you will receive:
Entry to the Butterfly House is free for reliable and regular volunteers.
PLUS you receive free entry passes for friends.
PLUS you can receive free butterfly attracting plants for your garden.
PLUS you receive an invitation to socials and workshops.
PLUS according to the statistics, Volunteers :
Make great friendships
Learn new skills
They are just some of the positives☺ These points alone make volunteering very worthwhile.
ALSO, your volunteering at the Bribie Island Butterfly House will assist the extreme poor of this world to achieve a better life. See our charity work.
If you’ve been looking for a way to ‘give back’ to :
This is a great cause! As a Volunteer you are always needed, and very much appreciated.
Right now, we need more assistance in maintaining the operation of the new butterfly house and breeding laboratory. This is on First Avenue on the way to Woorim.
We are now doing training for ‘technicians’ in the Butterfly Breeding Laboratory.
We need helpers to collect eggs, feed the hungry caterpillars and hang up the chrysalises, plus more!
Please contact us for more information☺
Phone 0459 104 174 . Thank you!
would you like to be part of bribie island butterfly house?
Volunteering sessions to suit your availability:
Monday to Friday as well as Sundays.
Our preferred minimum time commitment is 3 ½ hours.
Morning shift - 9:00am until 12:30pm.
Afternoon shift – 12.30pm to 4:00pm.
Our volunteers are across the following teams:
Butterfly Breeding Laboratory Technicians
- Learn about the amazing Butterfly Life Cycle.
- Assist in the collection of butterfly eggs.
- ‘Learn as you work’ caring for the caterpillars.
- Help hang chrysalises for the new butterflies to
- Clean and sterilise equipment to prevent disease
- We also breed stick insects. This is fun to learn about
gardeners - nursery
Gardeners for Plant Nursery and Hydroponics
- Learn how to maintain our hydroponic growing
system that feeds humans and caterpillars alike.
- Learn how we use the worm farm to help grow plants
in the hydroponic system
- Gardening, weeding and watering the established
garden areas outside the Butterfly House.
- Check and maintain irrigation on a daily basis.
gardeners - butterfly house
Gardeners for Inside the Butterfly House
- Pruning plants and removing old flowers to
encourage more profuse blooming for nectar.
- Recognising and removing insect pests.
- Monitoring the release of newly emerging butterflies.
- Immaculately maintaining the attractive appearance
of gardens, paths, feeding stations and other
- Ensuring that visitors are kind to our insects. ☺
Plant Nursery Propagators
- Help grow and maintain to a very high standard the
butterfly-attracting plants to be sold at the Butterfly
- Also grow and maintain the many high quality plants
needed continuously for egg-laying, caterpillar food
and nectar in the Butterfly House and Breeding
butterfly plant - foster care
Butterfly Plant ‘Foster Carers’
- Participate in the Plant ‘Foster Carers’ Program
mentioned on the ‘Current Projects’ page.
- We need very successful and loving pot-plant carers
to babysit potted butterfly plants at your own home.
front office assistant
Front Office Assistants – experience helpful
- Friendly, efficient workers needed for customer care,
ticket and other merchandise sales, phone answering
and general enquiries, coach bookings, data entry,
filing, marketing etc.
- Practical irrigation, electrical, machinery and general
- Help maintain the butterfly house, laboratory, nursery
and hydroponic areas.
- Keeping the water features operating nicely in the
There are other areas you may be able to help in eg social media, research, general cleaning, HR, rosters, children’s education, tour leaders, tea and coffee help etc. Please tell us about your expertise and how you may be able to help. ☺
Please read the following before completing the volunteer form below. We also suggest you read VOLUNTEER ROLES (at top of page) ie job descriptions.
If you are selected as a volunteer (assistant), there will be a two month training and probation period. This will give you time to understand the skills and requirements of your position. It will also help the 'Bribie Butterfly Volunteers' assess your suitably for a position as a valued assistant in this humanitarian and environmental cause.
Because we are dealing with the life and health of the beautiful butterfly insect, it is extremely important that we work harmoniously together as volunteers, with utmost care and kindness, and moderate talking during each working shift so all assistants can practice concentration on the task in hand. Lack of concentration on our tasks can cause stress, physical damage, sickness, disease and even death to the insects. Our volunteer assistants take pride in being industrious in their work and agree to practice a high degree of concentration during their allocated work shift.
By submitting the form below I agree to abide by the above requirements. Thank you very much for your desire to assist with this great humanitarian and environmental project.